“I can’t turn on the computer, the computer screen is blank”, this is a common issue that we receive calls about.
Here are some troubleshooting techniques you can try to resolve the issue:
- Ensure the computer power cable is plugged in and turned on at the wall socket
- Check the cable connecting the computer to the monitor screen, this can come loose
- Remove any USB sticks or external hard drives plugged into the computer, this can prevent the machine from starting up
- Discharge static – Sometimes a build-up of static electricity between two objects can cause an electrical short; this can happen between a computer and the wall socket causing the screen to go blank. There is an easy way to remove the build-up of static electricity from your computer.
Perform these steps to discharge static:
- Press and hold the power button at the front panel of the computer (not screen) and make sure the computer turns off
- Unplug the power cable from the back of the computer (not screen)
- Keep tapping the power button on the computer ten times while the power cable is unplugged (discharging the static)
- Plug the power cable back into the computer
- Start computer again.