FTTC – Fibre to the Curb

FTTC allows you to connect to the NBN by fibre optic cable linked to a Distribution Point Unit (DPU), which sits inside a telecom pit in your street. The final part of the connection uses your existing copper line to complete the NBN connection to your kindergarten.

An NBN technician will need to install a small device inside your building – this not only allows you to connect but also powers your connection.

How do I apply for FTTC NBN?

Email nbn@kindergarten.vic.gov.au and request the application forms.

Remember to include the name of your kindergarten and its address when you send the email.

What happens to my internet while the installation takes place?

As FTTC uses existing copper lines, the old internet will continue to function until your appointment day. Once the technician changes you over to the NBN, you can plug your NBN modem into the NBN Connection Device (NCD) and continue to use the internet.

Note: see below if you have multiple phone lines, or you already have NBN phones.

What happens to my phones while the installation takes place?

As FTTC uses existing copper lines, your old phones will continue to function until your appointment day. Once the technician changes you over to the NBN, if you chose to have your NBN internet installed on the same line as an existing telephone service, your phones will stop working.

To minimise interruptions to your phone service, we usually investigate how many copper lines you have going into your building prior to submitting your NBN application. If your kindergarten has only one line, the installation may not be straight forward. If this is the case, we will discuss this with you before the installation takes place.

What does the NBN equipment look like?

Where is the NBN equipment installed?

The NBN Connection Device (NCD) will be plugged into a phone socket in your building. This will most likely be the socket currently used by your existing phones or modem.

If we’re organising a new line at your kindergarten, your electrician or cable technician will select the location.

How do I plug in my modem?

Once the NCD is installed in your kindergarten, you will need to use an ethernet cord to connect the WAN port on your modem to the ‘Gateway’ port on the NCD.

You can then plug your computers/printers into any of the yellow ethernet ports on the modem, and connect to the WiFi using the details provided.

What if it’s installed far away from my computer/office or where I want my phones to live?

Your kindergarten will be required to engage an electrician or cable technician to run cabling to your preferred location. Your kindergarten will be required to cover all associated costs.

What if the NBN is installed but I can’t use it straight away due to internal cabling issues?

Unfortunately, the Kindergarten IT Program can only provide one internet connection per kindergarten.

If you are unable to start using the NBN immediately, due to internal cabling issues, we expect your kindergarten to organise internal wiring within 3 months of your NBN installation.

After 3 months, the Kindergarten IT Program Coordinator will contact you and discuss which connection should be cancelled (ADSL or NBN).

How do I organise moving my phones to the NBN?

Once the internet is installed, it depends on how many copper lines you have running into your building. Ask your preferred telephone provider for assistance. You can also ask us to investigate this issue for you.

If you have more than one line, use one line for the internet and one for your phone – be sure to let your phone provider know which line is being used for the internet.

If you only have one line, which we are most likely using for the internet, your options include the following:

  • Investigate VoIP service providers, which work over the internet rather than copper lines.
  • Use the same provider that we use for the internet (Commander). Please contact us if you’d like further information about this.
  • Consider alternative phone services, such as mobile phones rather than a traditional landline.

If I change my phone provider, can I keep my phone number?

Yes, you can keep your phone number. Contact the new phone company and request a port. They will then contact your current phone company to arrange this. You can find out more information on the Australian Communications and Media Authority website.

More questions

We’re here to help make your transition to the NBN as smooth as possible.

For more information, see our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page here.

If you can’t find the answer to your query, or you require further information, give us a call on (03) 8664 7001 or Toll Free – 1800 629 835, or send an email to nbn@kindergarten.vic.gov.au.